Preparation Time: 5 minutes
• 1 tablespoon coconut flour
• 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
• 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
• 1 1/2 cups cooked cubed sweet potatoes
• 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (or fresh, to taste)
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1 cup milk*
• salt and pepper, to taste
In a heavy saucepan, over medium-low heat, cook the coconut flour and virgin coconut oil, stirring constantly until the roux turns a light caramel color. Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, and then lower to a simmer. Stir in the sweet potatoes and spices. Bring to a simmer again and cook for 5 minutes more.
In a blender, puree the soup in batches (or all at once if blend pitcher is big enough) and return to saucepan (or use a hand blender). Add the milk and gently reheat the soup. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
* You could use rice, almond, or coconut milk to make soup dairy-free. For coconut milk make homemade coconut milk or use 1 teaspoon of coconut cream concentrate for every 6-8 oz of water for coconut cream milk. Mix together and use as directed.
Recipe submitted by Sherri, Avon, IN