1/3 Cup Oil
1/3 Cup Flour
1 Lb. Fresh or Frozen okra -sliced about ¼ inch thick
3-4 Medium tomatoes diced in large chunks - about ½ in.
1 medium onion diced ¼ inch thick
1 diced bell pepper
1 Cup diced celery
1 TBS. Joe’s Stuff or your favorite Cajun seasoning
½ tsp. Garlic Powder or 1 small clove garlic, crushed
1-2 dashes Tabasco
2 bay leaves
3-4 tsp. File’
3-4 Cups Chicken Broth
Salt and Pepper to Taste
2 cups left-over turkey, diced or shredded*
(Add water if needed to fill pot.)
2 Cups cooked rice
1. Make Roux by heating oil in large non-stick skillet on high. Sift flour into pan. Cook until medium-dark (The color should be between caramel candy and coffee with a little cream.)
2. Add okra, bell pepper, onion and celery to Roux. Brown in pan on high. Do not over-stir. Flip with spatula until vegetables are dark brown on 3 sides. (About 10-15 minutes)
3. Add tomatoes. Sauté about 5 minutes, until tomatoes are fork tender. Do not over-stir.
4. Move vegetables to large stew pot. Stir in chicken broth and all remaining ingredients.
5. Simmer 20 minutes or longer and serve with additional file on the side. Remove bay leaves.
6. Serve over the cooked rice.
* You may use cooked chicken, sausage, or seafood instead of turkey.
Skip the meat and substitute vegetable broth.
Grill okra, onion and tomato brushed with a little olive oil and file’ for 10 or 15 minutes. This will add another depth of flavor.
Add on TBS tahini.